Foothill-De Anza Community College District
Posting #: 16-019
Campus: De Anza College
Number of Working Months: 10 Months
Starting Salary: $57,066.00 - $93,722.00 annually
Open Until Filled: Open Until Filled
Employment Duration: Full-Time
*Teaching Astronomy courses will be dependent upon verification of minimum qualifications.
Initial Review Date: 11/11/16**
**Any complete applications received after the review date will only be forwarded to the hiring committee at their request.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the faculty position of Instructor, Meteorology/Astronomy*, De Anza College.
De Anza College Mission Statement:
De Anza College provides an academically rich, multicultural learning environment that challenges students of every background to develop their intellect, character and abilities; to realize their goals; and to be socially responsible leaders in their communities, the nation and the world.
De Anza College fulfills its mission by engaging students in creative work that demonstrates the knowledge, skills and attitudes contained within the college's Institutional Core Competencies:
- Communication and expression
- Information literacy
- Physical/mental wellness and personal responsibility
- Civic capacity for global, cultural, social and environmental awareness
- Critical thinking
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION INCLUDE:
Primary responsibility of this position is to teach community college meteorology and astronomy courses to a diverse student population. Courses include general education courses in weather processes, introductory stellar and solar system astronomy, and associated laboratories. Successful candidate will revise and develop curriculum as it relates to the disciplines, infusing multicultural perspectives and contributions where appropriate.
Standard duties expected of all faculty include development and evaluation of curricula, maintaining scheduled office hours, attendance at division and department meetings, pursuing professional growth activities, and performing other duties consistent with the role of an instructor. Instructors also have the opportunity to serve on District and college committees and participate in campus extra-curricular activities.
- Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- Master's in geology, geophysics, earth sciences, meteorology, oceanography, or paleontology OR
Bachelor's in geology AND Master's in geography, physics, or geochemistry OR
NOTE: Official Transcripts verifying qualifications will be REQUIRED prior to an offer of employment. Applicants who have international transcripts must obtain transcripts that are evaluated by an independent educational-equivalency evaluation company and obtain an English translation (if necessary). These services are to be done at the applicant's expense. Both Foothill De Anza CCD employees and external candidates must submit transcripts.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Meteorology.
- Graduate degree in astronomy or physics.
- Commitment to and/or experience working with culturally diverse groups.
- Experience teaching meteorology or astronomy at the secondary or college level.
In addition, the successful candidate must demonstrate the following knowledge and abilities:
- Capacity to convey a sense of enthusiasm and excitement about meteorology, astronomy, and physical science in general.
- Excellence in teaching or the potential for developing such excellence.
- Currency, depth, and breadth of knowledge of meteorology and astronomy.
- Proficiency in written and oral English necessary to communicate effectively with student and colleagues.
- Indoor, office environment.
(Applicants should perform these physical abilities with or without reasonable accommodations)
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
- Vision sufficient to read various materials.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to perform the tasks required of the position.
- Regularly stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time.
- Bending at waist, kneeling, or crouching.
- Reaching overhead, above the shoulders, and horizontally.
- Lifting and carrying objects up to 20 lbs.
- A District on-line application to be completed at http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/ *In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training.
- A cover letter citing your education, experience, skills, and abilities that addresses each of the relevant minimum and preferred qualifications listed above and that demonstrate how you are highly qualified for this position.
- An attached short essay (maximum ? page) explaining why you want to teach in a community college.
- All college transcripts (undergraduate and graduate) in Word or scanned PDF format. We do not accept JPEG or other file formats for transcripts. Applicants who have international transcripts must obtain transcripts that are evaluated by an independent educational-equivalency evaluation company, and obtain an English translation (if necessary). These services are to be done at the applicant's expense. Both Foothill De Anza CCD employees and external candidates must submit transcripts.
If you wish to request equivalency for this position (if you believe you do not otherwise meet minimum qualifications via educational degree attainment as specified), you may submit the Request for Equivalency form. This form will need to be submitted with your application packet. You may either scan a hard copy of this form with your application packet or submit it as a Word document with your application packet. http://hr.fhda.edu/_downloads/Equivalency.pdf
If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application packet. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be accepted. For full-consideration, all application packets must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date.
Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date. You may also visit our Applicant Information webpage to assist with technical difficulties at: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/a-applicant-instructions.html
HIRING RANGE: $57,066.00 - $93,722.00 annually plus benefits; actual placement is based on applicant's verified education and experience.
For the complete Faculty Salary Schedule, go to:
Excellent benefits package which includes medical coverage for employee and eligible dependents, dental, vision care, employee assistance program, long term disability, retirement benefits and basic life insurance. Other voluntary benefits are also available such as legal assistance, pet insurance, and long-term care. Faculty are also eligible for paid professional development leaves and stipends for educational and professional development.
For information on our benefits package that includes medical for employees and dependents, visit our web site: http://hr.fhda.edu/benefits/index.html
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Full-time, Tenure-track, 10-months per year
STARTING DATE: Winter or Spring 2017
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement.
The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District does not reimburse applicants for travel, lodging or any other costs incurred by applicant to attend interviews. All interviewing costs incurred will be the responsibility of the applicant.
For more information about our application process contact:
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, California 94022
To apply, visit: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/
Copyright 2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency