The Bartlett College of Science and Mathematics provides a high quality undergraduate and graduate education to students interested in STEM disciplines. The College is in the Dana Mohler-Faria Science and Mathematics Center, a state-of-the-art building with teaching and research spaces equipped with modern instrumentation designed to prepare science and mathematics students for employment or graduate work. The faculty and staff members pride ourselves on working with future teachers of Science and Mathematics and we run a vigorous and effective program of STEM outreach through the Center for the Advancement of STEM education. The College strives to be recognized by graduate schools and employers as a source of well-educated and well-prepared graduates.
The primary responsibilities of this position are to provide service and support to the general academic and research community within the College of Science and Mathematics by maintaining scientific instrumentation along with safe and effective laboratory and shop environments.
The position reports to the Dean of the College.
This is an exempt, APA unit position and is subject to the terms of that union agreement.
1. Supervise machine shop and maintain appropriate safety standards in shop.
2. Assist with the administration of health and safety programs and ensure safety compliance in collaboration with Science and Mathematics faculty and staff, the BSU Environmental Health and Safety office, and the Dean of the College.
3. Oversee and perform or coordinate maintenance and repair of a broad range of teaching and research equipment and instrumentation in College laboratories.
4. Write preventative maintenance procedures for teaching and research equipment.
5. Maintain data and records of repairs and maintenance performed on teaching and research equipment.
6. Order needed parts for instrument repairs and upgrades in consultation with departmental leadership and the Dean.
7. Evaluate and effectively prioritize daily work assignments.
8. Work with graduate assistant to maintain and administer server, software licenses, databases, and provide desktop computer support (knowledge of the Linux operating system is critical).
9. Other duties as assigned.
1. BS degree in an appropriate scientific discipline and 5 years of related work experience. Appropriate scientific fields include biology, chemistry, computer science, engineering, geography, geology, mathematics, and physics.
2. Excellent communication skills and experience in providing customer service and/or working in a team environment.
3. Knowledge of and experience troubleshooting electronic and electro-mechanical equipment.
4. Experience working in a machine shop.
5. Proficiency with computers and knowledge and experience with various software tools.
1. Advanced degree in an appropriate scientific field.
2. Project management skills.
3. Experience working with basic electronics and/or robotics.
Bridgewater State University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employee with disabilities.
This job operates in an environmentally controlled setting. Occasional pushing, pulling, reaching and lifting, standing for extended periods of time. Manual dexterity and visual acuity needed.
Please be aware that employment at Bridgewater State University is contingent upon completion of a successful background check.
Bridgewater State University (BSU) is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer which actively seeks to increase the diversity of its workforce. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people.
Salary Range: 65,000-70,000
Please note the following information is required to complete your application for this position:
*a minimum of one (1) employment history entry.
*a minimum of three (3) professional reference entries.