Purpose of Position
Macalester College seeks to hire a full-time Academic Information Associate – Sciences. Academic Information Associates (AIAs) are responsible for promoting and supporting information technologies for teaching, learning, and research among faculty. AIAs both consult on strategies for deploying appropriate informational technologies and act directly to assist faculty and staff in resolving problems.
· Works directly with faculty in the science building, including the Biology; Chemistry; Environmental Studies; Geology; Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science; Physics and Astronomy; and Psychology departments.
· Promotes and supports faculty members in the effective use of the College's existing information technologies in their teaching. Provides instruction and training for faculty and their students in the classroom and for research-related projects.
· Engages actively and collaboratively with individual faculty members and academic departments to identify, create, and expand academic uses of information services and technologies for teaching, learning, and research.
· Serves as a liaison and collaborator between ITS, Library, academic departments, and other information service functions across campus. Collaborates closely with another AIA assigned to the science building.
· Manages and maintains the science building computer teaching labs.
· Bachelor’s degree required; prefer a science major, especially computer science.
· Minimum three years experience.
· Experience in information technology and the teaching and learning environment and knowledge of the higher education sector.
· Ability to quickly adapt to the ever-changing information technology environment as it relates to student learning and faculty scholarship. The incumbent must have knowledge and experience with Windows, MacOS, and Linux operating systems. Experience with lab image creation and deployment tools preferred.
· Excellent customer service, communication, and interpersonal skills. Able to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with a diverse and independent group of clients, including students, faculty, and staff in resolving IT problems.
For best consideration, please submit resume and cover letter through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage no later than May 3, 2017. Review of applications will begin on May 3, 2017.
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphases on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.