We seek a dynamic and motivated individual to serve as the program advisor for a credit bearing undergraduate internship program managed by Rowan University and the New Jersey Department of Military And Veterans Affairs (NJDMAVA) Environmental Management Bureau (EMB). The Program Advisor will act as a full-time project manager, internship advisor and will instruct and mentor between one and four student interns for the purpose of implementing this program.
NJDMAVA is a state agency responsible for supporting the New Jersey Army National Guard (NJARNG) and veterans of the state by providing training lands and building infrastructure for the NJARNG. The NJDMAVA EMB implements various environmental programs that support the missions of the NJARNG and the NJDMAVA including but not limited to:
- Compliance Management including air and water quality management and permitting, underground and above ground storage tank management, hazardous waste management, asbestos management, spill prevention management.
- Natural and Cultural Resources Management including rare species, wetland, predator, Canada geese, and historic building management and archeological surveys.
- Policy and Planning Management including complying with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), implementing the Army National Guard (ARNG) Environmental Compliance and Assessment (ECAS) and ARNG environmental management system (EMS) programs, geographic information system (GIS) data development, conducting environmental training, and developing and implementing the EMB budget; and
- Remedial Investigations and Cleanup including conducting ARNG Environmental Condition of Property, Environmental Baseline Surveys, and Preconstruction Assessments (EBS/ECOP/PCA) surveys and remediation of contaminated sites.
The Program Advisor will support NJDMAVA EMB staff on a series of tasks, including, but not limited to:
- Air and water quality management and permitting,
- NEPA compliance,
- Storage tank management,
- Spill prevention,
- Cultural and natural resource management,
- Environmental training,
- Hazardous waste management,
- GIS data development,
- Site investigations and remediation, and
- Asbestos management.
The Program Advisor will also be expected to lead a group of interns to develop Project Management Plans, monthly and annual reports, and any other deliverables related to the tasks set by NJDMAVA and Rowan University faculty. The successful applicant will split his/her time between Rowan University and the NJARNG office in Lawrenceville, NJ. Travel to field sites is also expected.
- Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Studies, Environmental Science, Geology, Geomatics, Biology, Geography, Forestry, Wildlife Management, or related discipline,
- Must be a legal citizen of the United States and submit to and pass a US Department of Defense (DOD) national agency background check in order to obtain a DOD Common Access Card,
- Have or be able to obtain prior to employment, a valid State of New Jersey driver?s license,
- Familiarity with Environmental Management, Environmental Monitoring, and/or Environmental Compliance.
Applications must be submitted through our online applicant tracking system. Please submit a single PDF that includes the following items in the order listed: a cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and motivation for seeking the position, a resume/curriculum vitae and contact information for three referencesRowan University is a public comprehensive state-designated research institution with approximately 16,000 students. Its main campus is located in Glassboro, N.J., 20 miles southeast of Philadelphia, with additional campuses in Camden and Stratford. The University comprises seven colleges and five schools: the William G. Rohrer College of Business; the Henry M. Rowan College of Engineering; the Colleges of Communication and Creative Arts, Education, Humanities and Social Sciences, Performing Arts, and Science and Mathematics; the Cooper Medical School of Rowan University; the Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine; the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences; the School of Health Professions; and the School of Earth and Environment. Rowan is one of two public universities in the country to offer M.D. and D.O. medical degree programs. The institution is also home to the South Jersey Technology Park, which fosters the translation of applied research into commercial products and processes. Rowan has been recognized as one of the top 100 public universities in the nation and is ranked third among public institutions in the North by U.S. News & World Report.
Rowan University values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
All positions are contingent upon budget appropriations.