Location: Woods Hole, Massachusetts
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is currently searching for a Research Assistant to join the Geology & Geophysics Department. This is a regular, full-time, non-exempt position, and is eligible for full benefits. This position is available for a period of one year from the date of hire and is renewable depending on performance and funding availability.
The National Ocean Sciences Accelerator Mass Spectrometry (NOSAMS) Facility is looking for a Research Assistant to join our team. Characteristic duties are to prepare and process samples for radiocarbon analysis. The ideal candidate will have a strong attention to detail, an aptitude for learning new procedures, and be capable of managing multiple tasks.
As a Research Assistant, the incumbent works with some supervision, employs established laboratory procedures, standard equipment, and fundamental concepts to conduct research tasks determined by field of study and scope of individual research project. The internal working title for this position will be Research Assistant I or Research Assistant II. The final level of the position will be determined commensurate with the selected candidate's level of education & experience.
- Prepare samples for radiocarbon analysis and adapt methods as needed for different sample types
- Maintain records of sample processing and laboratory equipment
- Maintain and operate laboratory equipment and vacuum lines
- Perform miscellaneous laboratory tasks as specified by supervisor
- Participate in experimental design, research, and data analysis of radiocarbon sample preparation methods as time permits
- As deemed necessary by supervisor
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in science, or Bachelor's degree in non-related field plus two years' related experience
- Associate's degree in related field plus three years' related experience
- High School diploma or equivalent plus five years' related experience
- The successful candidate should also have computer skills, communication skills, critical thinking, and an ability to work with a team in time-sensitive situations.
Physical duties for this position include but are not limited to ability to lift above the shoulder, shoulder to knee, knee to floor; lifting 25-30 lbs and carrying 10-25 lbs regularly; Manual dexterity and mobility, use of hands for basic grasping and include fine manipulation, and occasional reaching, bending, stooping, kneeling and crouching. Physical duties are subject to change.