Lawrence Berkeley National Lab's (LBNL) Energy Geosciences Division has an opening for a Postdoctoral Scholar to join the team.
In this exciting role, you will use in-house code to conduct coupled THMC analysis of geological systems for a wider range of applications, including nuclear waste disposal, CO2 sequestration, geothermal exploitation, and hydrocarbon recovery.
What You Will Do:
- Conduct numerical modeling of THM processes for a variety of geoscience applications, primarily for nuclear waste disposal.
- Analyze and estimate coupled processes such as multi-phase flow, poro-elasto-plasticity of swelling clay, hydrological constitutive relationship under high temperature.
- Collaborate with scientists in other fields such as hydrogeology, geomechanics, seismology, and geochemistry.
- Write peer-review journal articles and technical reports.
Additional Responsibilities as needed:
- Make necessary code modifications and enhancements.
What is Required:
- A recent Ph.D. in rock mechanics, petroleum engineering, geothermal engineering, reservoir engineering or equivalent discipline.
- Programming skills: FORTRAN, C/C++, and/or C#, Python.
- Expertise in modeling and analysis of coupled THM processes in geological media.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment with a multidisciplinary group of scientists.
- Good verbal and written communication skills for effective collaboration and for writing peer-reviewed journal publications and technical reports.
- Knowledge of geochemistry.
- This is a full-time, 2 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 4 years of paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
- This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
- The monthly salary range for this position is $6,431.00 - $7,887.00 and is expected to start at $7,074.00. Postdoctoral positions are paid on a step schedule per union contract and salaries will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates. Each step represents one full year of completed post-PhD Postdoctoral and/or related research experience.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof that vaccination requirements have been met or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4.