Location: Woods Hole, Massachusetts
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is currently searching for a Research Associate to join the Geology and Geophysics Department. This is a regular, full-time, exempt position and is eligible for full benefits.
The successful candidate is expected to conduct research aimed at understanding the mechanisms of thallium isotope fractionation during sorption to manganese oxides. The research will involve conducting independent laboratory sorption experiments followed by thallium isotope analyses as well as mineralogical characterization on experimental products. Experience with multiple collector inductively coupled mass spectrometry (MC-ICPMS), ion exchange chromatography, x-ray diffraction, and synchrotron based mineral characterization techniques (EXAFS and XANES) are essential.
* Planning and execution of laboratory experiments
* Separation of thallium from sample matrix using ion exchange chromatography and measurement of isotope ratios using MC-ICPMS
* Preparation and analysis of experimental run products using XRD (x-ray diffraction), EXAFS (Extended X-ray Absorption Fine Structure) and XANES (X-Ray Absorption Near Edge structure) techniques
* Organization and interpretation of acquired data
* Assist in preparation of proposals, manuscripts or other documents for
publication and/or presentation
* Provide training for others in technical procedures and equipment operation
* Supervise the activities of other support staff
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned
Education & Experience
Ph.D. in a related field, or Master's in a related field with several years of relevant experience, or Bachelor's in a related field with more than five years of experience. In the absence of a formal degree,
considerable equivalent work experience is required. Successful candidates will have demonstrated the technical skill, motivation, independence, and creativity necessary to complete difficult tasks
WHOI is a federal contractor required to comply with Executive Order 14042. As such, WHOI has enacted a Mandated COVID19 vaccination policy effective December 8, 2021 where you must register your vaccination status in order to begin your employment. The registration process entails confidentially submitting a vaccination card and/or your vaccination status or requesting to engage in the interactive exemption process for either a medical or religious reason.
Physical duties for this position include but are not limited to, ability to lift less than 50 lbs independently, 10 times per day; carry 10-25 lbs, 25 times per day. Visual abilities to include near, far, peripheral, depth perception, and ability to distinguish basic colors. Hearing requirements include the ability to hear and respond to instructions, communicate effectively in loud areas (pier/dock, warehouse). Other physical tasks include occasional prolonged standing/walking; use of hands for basic /fine grasping and manipulation, repetitive motion, reaching above and below the shoulders, pushing, pulling, kneeling, bending, twisting, and stooping. Other occupational requirements include talking, traveling, working around others, and with others. Will be exposed to dust or other irritants and electrical/mechanical/power equipment hazards. Physical duties are subject to change